Monday, May 23, 2005

Mine

Hmmm I just realized I was going to name this posting "My Life," and speak negatively of people who resent their children intruding upon their life, when I realized that the title of this blog is It's My Life. Okay, but I'm talking about them, not me . . . for the most part.

More than once in the recent past I've heard a parent talking about, or to, their child, saying that the child has taken their life from them, or that they can't wait to reclaim their life when the child is grown and out of the house. I don't get it. I understand that life changes when you have a child--you can't be as spontaneous, you have more responsibility, greater financial obligations, etc. And sometimes that means you can't do what you want to do--go on a weekend trip or buy that little sports car or go to Taco Cabana at 2 a.m. or whatever. However, YOU had this child (especially in this day and age, although I won't get into that). This life you have, with the child and responsibilities and routine, IS your life. You're life is not that of a single 25-year-old, if you'd even really want that. Don't blame the child for your unhappiness.

Let me say here that I know kids can be difficult, exasperating, even heart-breaking. I just hate to hear people blame their children for their own unhappiness. I'm sure this doesn't exactly help their relationship with the kid, either. Oh yeah, I love you, but you've ruined my life and I can't wait to ship you off to college. That's a real bonding conversation.

Okay, I'm done. I know I'm not a parenting genius. I have lots to learn. That one just really got to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home